Thursday, October 18, 2012

Chicken strips

For my first official post, I decided to share one of Josh's favorite things; he calls them chicken bites, but basically they're chicken nuggets, or chicken fingers.  He is constantly asking me to make these.  A little background on Josh first, and to make a VERY long story short, I'll just say that at a year we had him tested for food allergies, and he is allergic to wheat, milk, and peanuts.  He can't eat wheat at all (he breaks out in hives) so we won't even ever know for sure that he has celiac, but we've been told to just treat him like he does.  So he's been eating gluten free his whole life.  I'm getting much better at cooking gf foods for him now, and it helps that there is just so many  more options now than there was even 6 years ago when we started this journey.  It used to be a lot trickier because we had to cook gf, milk free, AND egg free, but thankfully he outgrew the egg allergy.

So here is Josh's favorite meal:
I found these bread crumbs at our local Grocery Outlet for a SUPER good deal (I'm now kicking myself for only buying one bag).  I basically follow the instructions on the side of the bag, but cut it in half.  I whisk an egg, dip in strips of chicken breast, then dip it in the bread crumbs.  To season the bread crumbs I sprinkled in some sea salt, ground some pepper into it, and then mixed in some oregano.  Once the chicken is nicely coated with the bread, I put it into an 8x8 pan coated with olive oil.  Stick it in the oven and when it's cooked for about ten minutes, I turn them over and let them finish cooking.  This makes sure that both sides are nice and crispy.

Here's the bag of gf bread crumbs.


We got some yummy corn from a farm down the road, so I cooked that up, and he was a happy, happy boy.  If I had REALLY been on top of it, I would have added a nice salad with romaine and baby spinach, BUUUT I wasn't.  At this point, with soccer games and practices and dance class, we're lucky to get dinner on the table by 7 pm.

I made us some yummy chicken too.  Here's the link to the recipe I used.  
Oh, and don't you like our fancy china?  ;)

1 comment:

Sue O said...

You can have my bag. It's been in the fridge since I bought it so should still be fresh.