Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Potato leek soup

We got small Yukon Gold potatoes and leeks in our Bountiful Basket this week, so of course, I had to try making some potato leek soup.  I have to say it was pretty simple, and super yummy!  I will definitely be making this again!  Even three out of my five kids loved it.  The other two don't count because they're super picky.  Here's where I got the recipe, but I'll type out what I did because I changed it a bit.

*two large leeks, cut in half lengthwise, then chopped
*a bunch of small potatoes
*dairy free margarine (so Josh could eat it) or oil, whichever you prefer
*salt and pepper
*2 cups water
*some chicken stock
*more water
*I made up these spices the other day (minus all the salt and brewer's yeast) and put in 3 tsp
It's very technical, I know.
I put the leeks and margarine into the pot on low/med heat with the salt and pepper, and let them get soft.  Once they were soft I removed it from the heat while I chopped the potatoes and put them in.  Then I added 2 cups of water, some frozen chicken stock I had, and then topped it off with some more water until it was just about 2 inches below the top of the pot.  Then I added the spices and brought it to a boil.  I lowered the heat and let it simmer for about an hour, until the potatoes were soft.  Then I took about half of it out, and pureed it with my Magic Bullet.  I didn't measure exactly half, I just kept taking more out and pureeing until it looked creamy enough for me.  Then I let it simmer some more until dinner time.  I like to let soup simmer a long time because it just gives the flavors more time to blend together.  And that's it!  Some recipes called for it to all be blended, but I like the chunks. They add some texture.  We ate it with Great Harvest Dakota bread (gluten free for Josh and me), and it was a perfect texture blend with the somewhat creamy soup, and seedy bread.  Yum!  I can't wait to eat more for lunch tomorrow!

No comments: