Sunday, October 21, 2012

An easy dinner *updated*

One of my favorite go-to dinners for those crazy days spent running kids around, is spaghetti with garlic bread.  I get two pots of water boiling, and start making the garlic bread.  Our favorite garlic bread is sour dough with a spread of butter, sprinkled with sea salt and garlic powder.  Sometimes I get fancy and add some Parmesan  cheese.  Then I just stick it under the broiler until it's golden brown.  Mmmm....it's so good! It's also easy to make gf and dairy free.  Gluten free bread doesn't keep very long, so I usually make it, slice it, and freeze it the same day.  For garlic bread I take a few pieces out of the freezer, spread on some dairy free "butter", and then sprinkle the salt and garlic powder.
The best tasting gluten free pasta we have found is corn pasta.  It cooks well, and is easily stored and warmed the next day if there are leftovers.  Many other pastas either over cook easily and are nasty or they are nasty rewarmed.  Then I just heat up our favorite sauce, Francesca Rinaldi Sweet and Tasty Tomato, and we have dinner on the table in under 30 minutes.  Perfect for those crazy soccer days.

*I just discovered a way to make it easier!  I bought a round loaf that was unsliced originally, but walking down the bread aisle the other day I discovered presliced oval loafs.  Duh!*

Sometimes I forget that not everyone knows how to safely cook gluten free.  So here's some tips for cooking pasta.  The most important thing to remember is that you want to avoid cross contamination with food containing gluten.  So with pasta, you have to use a separate pot, and spoon, and when I drain it, I drain the gf pasta first, and then the regular.  Always make sure everything is clean, and that you don't accidentally use something for your gf food that you've used with your gluten food.

No comments: